perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] Making Apache::ASP optimized for mod_perl 2
Date Wed, 07 May 2003 02:09:21 GMT
Josh Chamas wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>> May be in the spirit of ModPerl::MethodLookup, we call it
>> ModPerl::MethodLoad? Internally it'll use ModPerl::MethodLookup.
>>

> I don't have an intuition about the naming conventions yet...
> seems like this could go well as a Apache:: module or a ModPerl::Method
> one...

I put these into the ModPerl:: namespace, since this is really a mod_perl
thing, it's doesn't provide a glue for any Apache:: functionality.

> I like things have have a natural way of saying them like:
>
>   use ModPerl::Methods qw(:mp1);
>
> it just sounds like how you would say it.

It's just a bit too abstract, even though it reads better as a prose. May be
this is less of an art:

use ModPerl::MethodLoad qw(:mp1);

but it's very explicit.

Also I thought of using this new potential module in Apache::compat, but now I
think that it's better to keep the list explicit.

>> Also I'm thinking about adding a special module called
>> ModPerl::ProductionTest, what it'll do is:
>>
>> $INC{'Apache/compat.pm'} = __FILE__;
>> $INC{'ModPerl/MethodLoad.pm'} = __FILE__;
>>

> I like this idea.  It has to noop all other mass loading mechanisms,
> both module loading, and the subs that might be called from those modules,
> so that other modules can call those subs without erroring I guess
> at module compile time.

And it has to be loaded very early.

> It might go into the same namespace as
> ModPerl::Methods ( or whatever it ends up as ) too like
>
>   use ModPerl::Methods qw(:mp1 :production);

But since it reverts the functionality of other modules as well, it's may be
better to have it in a different package? may be:

use ModPerl::ReleaseControl qw(:dev :prod);

and of course it should be possible to turn it on with setting an env var, so
one doesn't have to change the code when switching to the production env.