perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: OBSD update
Date Tue, 06 May 2003 07:53:49 GMT
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 15:00, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:

>>>That's relatively easy, sure can.
>>
>>but you can't deterministically say how much is enough. So we should at least
>>start with documenting this issue. Care to submit a patch for
>>src/docs/2.0/user/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.pod?
>

> Sure, and we could also try and gracefully detect that we just ran out
> of filehandles...

How are you going to do that? The code that was trying to open the file (and
failed) should have reported this when it hit the limit. Do you say that it
didn't?

>>>Well, I've narrowed it down for me to /usr/X11R6/lib.
>>>
>>>LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib works find
>>>LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib explodes...
>>>
>>>Doesnt' make much sense, as adding a include dir to the path shouldn't
>>>change a thing... /me ponders...
>>
>>but that's on your system. On other machine it can be something different.
>

> I know, and to top it off, there is nothing in /usr/X11R6/lib that I can
> find Perl would load.
>
> I guess what I am trying to say is how can we figure out what's needed
> and what's not.
>
> In my case I _need_ /usr/local/lib, for other people, their requirements
> might be different, as you noted.
>
> What I am trying to figure out is _why_ certain directories would cause
> such strange segfaults.

For example DSO dependencies which happen to load different versions of the
same DSO (from different directories). Let's say liblang.so depends on
libfoo.so and libbar.so. Now libfoo.so depends on /tmp/1/libplus.so and
libbar.so depends on /tmp/2/libplus.so, which is a different build. Each

Could this be the reason? I mean don't look for libperl.so in /usr/X11R6/lib
but for some other DSO which also resides in /usr/local/lib.

I'm reading Ulrich's papers on DSO design and he talks about those. Check his
homepage:
http://people.redhat.com/drepper/