perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: OBSD update
Date Tue, 06 May 2003 07:00:46 GMT
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 11:56, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>>

>>Great work, Philippe. Later when we work our the details please apply the
>>Apache::Test and mod_perl 2.0 patches separately as they now each have a
>>separate Changes file and separate lives on CPAN.
>>

>>>1. On my machine, by default, the max file descriptors is set to 64, and
>>>it's not sufficient, 128 did it.
>>
>>If this is crucial, we need to run a check and warn/croak if that's the case.
>

> That's relatively easy, sure can.

but you can't deterministically say how much is enough. So we should at least
start with documenting this issue. Care to submit a patch for
src/docs/2.0/user/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.pod?

>>>The secret to fixing it for me so far, has been to make sure
>>>/usr/X11R6/lib isn't in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH. At this point, all attempts
>>>to figure out WHY have failed miserably.
>>
>>yes, this is big pain, probably need to support that internally, or complain
>>aloud if there is a mismatch.
>

> Well, I've narrowed it down for me to /usr/X11R6/lib.
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib works find
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib explodes...
>
> Doesnt' make much sense, as adding a include dir to the path shouldn't
> change a thing... /me ponders...

but that's on your system. On other machine it can be something different.

>>or $(MODPERL_RANLIB) constant should be set to ':'. I don't understand why the
>>special case for DARWIN/OPENBSD, but linux doesn't really use it, and the
>>solution is different?
>

> Well, DARWIN was already there, and I just slapped OpenBSD to it.

+1

>>shouldn't this be coded as a variable in Apache/TestConfig? I mean:
>>
>>$vars->{ip_address} or something like that?
>

> Yeah, probably should.
>

>>Also do we have the same problem with mp1?
>

> Don't think so, as apache-1/mp1 wouldn't be using IPv6 by default,
> wouldn't it ? (I'll verify that later on)

This is quite possible in the later releases, but this is unrelated to
Apache::Test since it will do the same thing for mp1 and mp2 (with your
patch). just add a new variable so it'll be encapsulated rather than hardcoded.

I was talking about the mp1 test suite, but I have heard of no complaints so
far. So let's just leave it...