perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: resolving Apache::Test vs. Apache::test collision
Date Tue, 06 May 2003 02:31:48 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>

>>We have a problem with using the Apache::Test name, more correctly we have a
>>problem with using the Apache/Test.pm filename. On platforms with
>>case-insentive filesystems (winFU, Mac OS X) if mod_perl 1.x is installed,
>>there is Apache/test.pm (notice the lower case 't'). So when you say 'use
>>Apache::Test' it loads Apache::test. Boom, nothing works.
>>
>>There are several routes we can take to resolve this problem:
>>
>>1. rename Apache::Test to something else. David Wheeler has proposed to use
>>Apache::Tester (or even swap the sides: Test::Apache).
>>
>>2. add a new package Apache::TestLoad which will deal with loading the right
>>Apache::Test package, by replacing 'require Apache::Test' with search for
>>'Apache/Test.pm' in @INC and doing do $file; on the full path. That solves the
>>problem, of loading the right file but you will have to replace all instances
>>of 'use Apache::Test;' with 'use Apache::TestLoad;', but still using the
>>functions from Apache::Test. Since they are all imported by default, this is
>>not a big issue. It's just confusing that use 'Apache::TestLoad'.
>

> I like using the idea of using/reserving Test::Apache here.  Why not combine
> options 1 & 2 by making Test::Apache the package loader for Apache::Test
> (ie, instead of Apache::TestLoad)?  That way, 3rd party modules that
> have problems with Apache::test can use Test::Apache, and httpd-test
> development can continue within the Apache::Test namespace.

The problem is that *all* 3rd party modules which use/plan to use Apache::Test
have this problem. They might not be aware of it, because they either aren't
running WinFU/OSX or they don't have mp1 installed.

> Seems like a workable compromise to me: if all we have to do is
> s/Apache::Test/Test::Apache/ for libapreq-1.x, that seems easy
> enough.

That has the same problem as s/Apache::Test/Apache::TestLoad/, you load one
package but use the other.

As of this moment I think the best solution is to extend Apache::Test to
support Apache::test and make sure that the installed Apache/test.pm is
removed/replaced. The only drawback with this approach (other than the need to
code it) is that if someone installs an older mp1 after installing
Apache::Test they will install Apache/test.pm. I assume that the next version
of mp1 will be aware of Apache::Test.