perl-dev mailing list archives

From Enrico Sorcinelli <e.sorcine...@pisa.iol.it>
Subject Re: [mp1] Apache::Status override keys in menu_item() sub
Date Mon, 26 May 2003 10:21:39 GMT
On Mon, 26 May 2003 17:54:25 +1000
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> wrote:

Hi all,

> Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> > In this old report
> > [http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl&m=101559176217056&w=2]
> > Enrico Sorcinelli notes the fact that it is possible to override the
> > built-in menus in Apache::Status  with the menu_item() API.
> >
> > He believes this is a bad thing, and provided a patch that will disable
> > this with a warning.
> >
> > I don't see a good reason why people shouldn't be able to do that. And
> > after all, even if you block it thru menu_item, there will still be ways
> > to achieve that.

Yes, you can work around but at cost of little bit Apache core hacking,
not directly from a shared API.

> > I can't find a good reason why people would want to override the
> > built-in menus either. But I would prefer if the choice remained in the
> > users hands.

"Users hands" that intend you is the hands of Apache mod_perl modules
developers, not final users! :-)
I don't know any modules that leave on the final user hand the possibility
to skip the Apachge::Status plugin installation.

The problem is that it doesn't exists an Apache::Status items repository
and if a mod_perl module overrides Status items the final user can mistake.

I think that another simple idea is to patch Apache::Status in order to install
plugged keys by inserting also the module namespace before the key to avoid
any conflicts.

> > If nobody objects to this one, I'd consider the issue closed and remove
> > it from STATUS
>
> +1 to close -- I can see that this might be useful, if an evil module
> overrides the core functionality as part of its load. But this is a debug
> module, and different people will have a different concept of DWIM in this case.

Yes, it is a debug module, but useful! :-)

by

	- Enrico