perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <>
Subject Re: proposal for filter_init implementation (was: Re: rfc: new filtering APIs)
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:36:53 GMT

Stas Bekman wrote:
> Geoffrey Young wrote:
>>> I still think that most filters will have no init handler.
>> I agree.  the unfortunate fact is that most ought to have one - that
>> they don't really means that people are not handling conditional GETs
>> properly. in 1.3 this merely meant that server load was increased.
>> with the new filter mechanism, it more likely will mean that the
>> server will generate unexpected responses.
> I've started throwing this kind of notes into:

> or may be:

> I'll add yours and hopefully you will expand on it to make a proper
> section some time soon.

yeah, once we have an interface down I'll throw some stuff together.

>> yes, $f->ctx is probably fine for all filters except output filters,
>> for reasons (I hope) I've shown :)
> Well, we already agreed over irc that this filter_init is a totally
> misleading name/feature. But since we didn't participate in the
> design/decision making, we have to eat it and pretend that it tastes
> good ;)

unfortunately, yes.  If I had the time and ability, I'd fix the underlying
problem in Apache and submit it as a patch, but there are way too many
changes involved for me to get it working the way it probably ought to.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message