perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [patch] Apache::Scoreboard XS version
Date Mon, 25 Nov 2002 02:39:10 GMT
Doug MacEachern wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>Also there is no real need to have Apache::Scoreboard be used by
>>different MPMs without recompile, because since it's a part of mod_perl,
>>the latter will be recompiled in any case if MPM is changed.
>

> one can compile modperl against one mpm and run with another without
> recompile.  for example, perl Makefile.PL && make in the modperl-2.0
> directory and can run
>  t/TEST -httpd /.../prefork-apache/bin/httpd
>  t/TEST -httpd /.../worker-apache/bin/httpd
>  t/TEST -httpd /.../leader-apache/bin/httpd
>
> another example, the unix versions of covalent's products ship with the
> worker and prefork MPM, the one version of modperl binaries included run
> with both.

Cool!

> one approach would be to have an Apache::Scoreboard front end,
> and backends compiled to Apache/ScoreboardPrefork.so
> Apache/ScoreboardWorker.so, etc.  dunno.

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I'll see if this can be solved
differently.

> not worried about the bincompat
> if Apache::Scoreboard on its own.  but would like to keep everything that
> ships with the core binary compatible.

Since Apache::Scoreboard now doesn't rely on WrapXS, it doesn't have to
be in the core. Though I'd like to keep it under the apache.org cvs. How
about creating any rep modperl-2.0-modules and having this and other
non-core modules live there?