perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [patch] Apache::Scoreboard XS version
Date Mon, 25 Nov 2002 02:20:02 GMT
Doug MacEachern wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>This is the same module as posted earlier but now rewritten in XS. I've
>>tested it by putting the test file in the main test suite, since I cannot
>>test it yet in the sub-project dir, so I won't commit the test till it'll
>>be possible to run tests in the sub-projects:
>

> sorry for the delayed response.. i thought i had already +1-ed committing
> to the self-contained Apache-Scoreboard subdir way back.  but STATUS says
> awaiting my review.  still haven't had time for a complete review.  but
> i'm still +1 on committing to the self-contained Apache-Scoreboard subdir
> (including tests).  it is possible now to run test in the sub-projects,
> right?

With an overridden new_test_config in t/TEST.PL, yes.

> have you tried compiling the module against a prefork install, then
> running the same modperl binaries with a threaded mpm such as worker?
> last i heard, the scoreboard structures sizes were not the same depending
> on mpm.  from the httpd CHANGES:
>   *) Change mod_status to use scoreboard accessor functions so it can
>      be used in any MPM without having to be recompiled.
>      [Ryan Morgan <rmorgan@covalent.net>]
>
> if Scoreboard.xs needs to be recompiled to work with different mpms on the
> same platform, that'd be a showstopper for inclusion in the core distro.

well I've looked at it and I don't think this will work because:
we allow freeze and thaw, so image() may return a copy of the scoreboard
image which was previously stored and not the current ap_scoreboard. The
accessor function won't work here. Unless we change the API and handle
the current scoreboard and stored ones differently. e.g. different
classes. But will need to write duplicated code to retrieve the same
data in different ways (one direct for the copies, another via accessors
for the live copy).

Also there is no real need to have Apache::Scoreboard be used by
different MPMs without recompile, because since it's a part of mod_perl,
the latter will be recompiled in any case if MPM is changed.