perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject streamed filtering spec
Date Mon, 25 Nov 2002 01:48:17 GMT
Doug,

what's the status of the streaming filtering implementation?

We have a semi-working implementation of output filtering, and no input
filtering. If I remember correctly we were waiting for Apache API to
stabilize, please correct me if I'm wrong. My impressions from talking
to people at ApacheCon is that 2.0 API is going to be frozen any moment
now and we shouldn't expect any changes to the filtering API. So it's a
go sign.

I want to spec out the streaming implementation, complete the missing
output filtering features and implement the input filtering.

Current known issues with the input filtering:

- if the stream include EOS, the filter can't send any more data, after
the bucket with EOS has been passed through, so we need to do some
trickery. My suggested patch is here:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=102828686110352&w=2
and awaits comments.

- Esteban Fernandez Stafford noticed another problem
http://mathforum.org/epigone/modperl/skantworskeu
when the data doesn't fit into one bucket brigade and the filter gets it
in chunks. We need to spec out how to handle this situation if the
filter wants to setaside data because it hasn't received enough data.