perl-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: documenting SetHandler perl-script|modperl
Date Wed, 22 May 2002 19:30:36 GMT
On Thu, 23 May 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:

> We don't have the difference between
>    SetHandler perl-script
> and
>    SetHandler modperl
> documented.

in a nutshell, 'perl-script' does everything it did in 1.x
'modperl' does nothing special, just the callback.

> implies:
>
> * PerlOptions +GlobalRequest

hadn't been doing that, but it does now unless PerlOption -GlobalRequest
is specified.

> * PerlOptions +SetupEnv unless PerlOption -SetupEnv is specified

right.

> * C<STDOUT>/C<STDOUT> get tied to the request object C<$r>, so you
can
>     use CORE::print() or read from C<STDIN>.

right.

> * what happens to env in modperl_env_request_tie?

nothing, yet.

> * there are a few other things that happen in this function, what are
>     they?

modperl_perl_global_request{save,restore} does something like local() for
all variables in the modperl_perl_global.c:MP_perl_global_entries table.

> Also what can we tell about "modperl" other than saying that it doesn't
> do all the above things.

nothing else.

> ===
>
> BTW, why modperl_env_request_populate() is called only for perl-script
> handler and not for modperl?

because the 'modperl' handler does nothing special.
if you want it, call $r->subprocess_env in void context or use perl-script
handler.