perl-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: MP_USE_DSO=1 MP_USE_STATIC=1
Date Tue, 21 May 2002 16:11:36 GMT
On Tue, 21 May 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Aren't MP_USE_DSO and MP_USE_STATIC options self-exclusive?

actually, no.  in fact, you've just reminded me to make them both enabled
by default if neither is specified.  the idea is that one first builds
mod_perl and ends up with a src/modules/perl/mod_perl.{so,a} and
src/modules/perl/ldopts.  to link modperl static with httpd, we just need
some config.m4 magic to add `ldopts` and mod_perl.a to the build.  so one
could then build httpd like so:

ln -s ~/apache/modperl-2.0/src/modules/perl $PWD/src/modules
./configure --with-mpm=prefork --enable-perl=static ...

we not be configuring/building httpd for the user as 1.x attempted.

downside is one will need to have configured httpd first, so that headers
generated.  so it will probably be more like:

./configure --with-mpm=prefork ...
(go build modperl)
./config.nice --enable-perl=static && make

we could of course provide a wrapper script todo this, but don't want to
have this stuff buried and tangled like it is in 1.x