perl-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: my __PACKAGE__ $obj now works. does what?]
Date Tue, 21 May 2002 04:47:35 GMT
On Tue, 21 May 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:

> I was digging at p5p archives and asking about the status of
> compile-time method lookup optimization. The 2.0 design doc talk about
> this feature as to be added to 5.8, but I understand that this is not
> the case. Doug, can you please tell what's the status of this feature?

the archives say it all.  a class cannot be subclassed with compile-time
method lookups happening.  i wouldn't declare the idea as dead, it could
be implemented as a pragma for code that knows it will not be subclassed.
but given that limitation, time would be much better spent optimizing
elsewhere.