perl-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Win32 threading
Date Mon, 20 May 2002 21:52:49 GMT
On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Alessandro Forghieri wrote:

> Greetings.
> I guess this qualifies as dumb question however:
>
> i) will the interpreter feature work on Win32 AS perl? (-dUSEITHREADS)
>    [I guess no - the doc says it needs -DUSETHREADS]

yes, AS implemented ithreads and enable it in all their builds.  modperl
would not let you build without ithreads on win32.

> ii) if answer to (i) is no, I then will have to rebuild perl to profit
>    from the interpreter pool - is there a way (directive) to tell modperl
>    whichinterpreter it should run - other than the one it is found in its "PATH"?
>
> BTW, this feature (sepcifying the interpreter path from within httpd.conf)
> would be interesting in its own right, given that modifying the
> environment forservices is nowhere close to easy/convenient.

the interpreter is embedded in the server, so this concept wouldn't apply.
however, one very nice feature of win32 perl is that it relocates itself
at runtime (adjusting @INC paths), you can simply configure
LoadFile c:/fooperl/bin/perl58.dll

and modperl will use that perl installation, provided it is binary
compatible with the perl that was used to build modperl.