perl-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [Win32] modperl2 and threads experiments
Date Sat, 18 May 2002 23:41:19 GMT
On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Alessandro Forghieri wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I am experimenting with the (alpha level, I know) thread support of modperl2
> on winnt.

alpha yes, waiting for people such as your self to help find / work out
bugs.  that and perl-5.8.0-tobe has fixed many problem with ithreads that
exist in 5.6.1.  so modperl support for threaded mpms to be considered
stable will likely depend on a stable 5.8.x

> While the server does no longer block on outstanding modperl requests (I can
> request static pages while modperling: this was not possible on 1.x), it
> wouldappear that multiple requests to the interpeter lock it up.
>
> My handler counts to 20 while sleeping 1 sec.
> I test concurrency by loading a frameset pointing to the same handler (from
> different locations, say /counter1/ and /counter2.).
>
> This locks all the modperl locations from any client indefinitely (so it
> looks its'deadlocking, not serializing).

that shouldn't happen.  is it still happening with current cvs?
do you have a simple test case that would be easy for me to setup?

> PerlOptions +Parent

don't need that unless you want each vhost to have its own parent
interpreter.  but it shouldn't cause any problems.

> I've tried to configure a /perl-status/ location - but, Apache::Status
> complainsquite loudly (any way to get it working?).

Apache::Status does not work with 2.0 at the moment.

> And lastly - is ths stuff OT on this list? Should I be posting to the user
> listinstead?

very much on topic here.  though personally, i tend to fall behind often
with modperl mails.