perl-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: MODPERL_LIBPERL
Date Fri, 17 May 2002 23:33:26 GMT
On Fri, 17 May 2002, Dave Rolsky wrote:

> I noticed that this is set via this code in Apache::Build ...
>

>     print $fh $self->canon_make_attr('libperl',
>                                      join '/',
>                                      $self->perl_config('archlibexp'),
>                                      'CORE',
>                                      $self->perl_config('libperl'));
>
> But at least on my debian system there is no libperl.so at that location.

perl -V:libperl (libperl.a, libperl.so, perl58.lib, etc) should always be
in that location.

> It's in /usr/lib instead.

that is bogus.  why do they do that?

> Is this a problem with the assumptions in the Apache::Build code or is it
> a Debian problem?

debian.  we could probably adjust to that broken layout, but personally
would much rather see debian put libperl in the right place to prevent
future problems.  for example, if one were to install perl 5.8.0 with
ithreads enabled, perl will install libperl into the place where
Apache::Build is looking.  but the runtime linker may look in /usr/lib
first, kaboom.