perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject documenting SetHandler perl-script|modperl
Date Wed, 22 May 2002 17:32:06 GMT
We don't have the difference between
   SetHandler perl-script
and
   SetHandler modperl
documented.

Source code wise it seems that modperl_response_handler_cgi is what
makes them different. I've started documenting the difference, but I
don't understand everything and need help. Here is the start:

===

"perl-script" and "modperl" are both mod_perl handlers, but the latter
one (new to mod_perl 2.0) does less things than the former and therefore
more efficient.

  SetHandler perl-script

implies:

* PerlOptions +GlobalRequest

* PerlOptions +SetupEnv unless PerlOption -SetupEnv is specified

* C<STDOUT>/C<STDOUT> get tied to the request object C<$r>, so you can
    use CORE::print() or read from C<STDIN>.

* what happens to env in modperl_env_request_tie? is it simply to be
    able to restore it to its previous state

* there are a few other things that happen in this function, what are
    they?

Also what can we tell about "modperl" other than saying that it doesn't
do all the above things.

===

BTW, why modperl_env_request_populate() is called only for perl-script
handler and not for modperl?

Thanks!