perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: MP_USE_DSO=1 MP_USE_STATIC=1
Date Tue, 21 May 2002 16:35:11 GMT
Doug MacEachern wrote:
> On Tue, 21 May 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>Aren't MP_USE_DSO and MP_USE_STATIC options self-exclusive?
>

> actually, no.  in fact, you've just reminded me to make them both enabled
> by default if neither is specified.

The doc says that MP_USE_DSO is enabled by default. Do you mean if it
wasn't explicitly passed as MP_USE_DSO=1?

> the idea is that one first builds
> mod_perl and ends up with a src/modules/perl/mod_perl.{so,a} and
> src/modules/perl/ldopts.  to link modperl static with httpd, we just need
> some config.m4 magic to add `ldopts` and mod_perl.a to the build.  so one
> could then build httpd like so:
>
> ln -s ~/apache/modperl-2.0/src/modules/perl $PWD/src/modules
> ./configure --with-mpm=prefork --enable-perl=static ...
>
> we not be configuring/building httpd for the user as 1.x attempted.
>
> downside is one will need to have configured httpd first, so that headers
> generated.  so it will probably be more like:
>
> ./configure --with-mpm=prefork ...
> (go build modperl)
> ./config.nice --enable-perl=static && make
>
> we could of course provide a wrapper script todo this, but don't want to
> have this stuff buried and tangled like it is in 1.x

that's cool!

Does any platform can build DSO?

I'm working on the introduction to 2.0 chapter for our book and must
freeze the modifications very soon now. So if is there anything missing
or incorrect in install.pod, any chance that you can add it? or tell me
what and I'll do that. e.g. currently there are only details on how to
build DSO mod_perl, and the above shades some light on the STATIC build
process.

Thanks!