perl-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [patch] default request pool sub
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:45:30 GMT
On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Sure, be it ModPerl::Util:: function. How should it be called? Can I use
> the same code I've used for APR::Pool::from_current_request() in my orig
> post.

ModPerl::Util::default_pool();

> Take the case of the Apache::Util::ht_time wrapper. We cannot use
> Apache->request->pool without fallback, since we don't know where it's
> used. So I prefer to have one function that returns some pool for sure
> to be used in all wrappers needing this functionality. Rather than
> trying Apache->request->pool and falling back to pconf in every compat
> wrapper we need a poll.

in this case, if ht_time is used at request time without
PerlOptions +GlobalRequest, then all calls to ht_time leak into pconf.
it is also unsafe to use pconf at request time with threaded MPMs.

i doubt anybody is using ht_time() at startup.  i think it would be best
to start out using Apache->request->pool here.  maybe adding this in
Apache::compat.pm instead of ModPerl::Util::default_pool():

sub default_pool {
    my $r = Apache->request;
    die "need to configure 'PerlOptions +GlobalRequest'" unless $r;
    return $r->pool;
}

after all, this function should only be used for compat wrappers.