perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: modperl-2.0/xs/maps apr_functions.map
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 17:09:54 GMT

>>But what about other functions? password_validate,
>>generate_random_bytes, etc...
>>
>>So it should be APR::password_validate?
>>

> yes.  they should all be the way they were before.  those c functions
> don't have _util in their names, so the perl function shouldn't have
> ::Util in theirs.  Apache::Util is just the module name.  just like we
> have a bunch of Apache::Foo modules that add methods into the
> Apache::RequestRec namespace, without adding ::Foo to their names.

But why, Doug? If APR has it wrong, why cannot we fix it Perl? We do
adjust APIs to be Perlish, why cannot we set the function into a proper
namespace?

In the end the Perl APR API will be used by 99.9% of developers who will
never know that APR::Util::password_validate actually is a function that
doesn't have apr_util_ prefix but only apr_.

APR::errstr is actually cool with me, since it's a top level function.

but APR::password_validate or APR::generate_random_bytes seem completely
bogus to me, after I've written some code using APR:: Perl APIs. I'm
sure other people will feel in the same way. And will try to type
APR::Util::password_validate just to realize that there is no such function.