perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: back compatibility layer for method handlers?
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 01:53:54 GMT
Doug MacEachern wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>A "method handler" is now specified using the `method' sub attribute, e.g.
>>
>>sub handler : method {};
>>
>>instead of 1.xx's
>>
>>sub handler ($$) {}
>>

> there's no need to support that in 2.0, since 1.x has supported the method
> attribute for nearly 2 years:
>
> =item 1.24 - May 16, 2000
>
> 'sub handler : method {}' is now treated as a method handler
>
> so that code will work with both 1.x and 2.x.

Cool, but it's not documented anywhere. Not in the pods, nor in the
eagle book. The book advertises only the $$ proto, as it was published
before the feature was added. I doubt many people know about this
feature. e.g. do you cover this in your new book Geoff?

Anybody cares to submit a doc patch for this feature in 1.x?

> and several callbacks in 2.0 have more arguments than $r, so $$
> doesn't make sense anymore.

ok.