perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: mod_perl 2.0 for ISPs
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2002 15:18:34 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> hi all...
>
>   I was wondering if any thought was given to designing mod_perl 2.0
> with ISPs in mind.  I know this issue has cropped up on modperl@ but
> I've been thinking about it lots lately and have an idea (well, some
> ramblings, anyway)...

agreed that there is a *big* demand for this. No need to have an
advocacy thread on that :) Let's move onto the deep water.

>   there are lots of problems with allowing users to have access to
> mod_perl in a multiple-client or mass web hosting situation.  of
> course, the advocacy bent is that without this type of access,
> mod_perl will never reach the level of PHP (if we want it to, that is
> :)

We need to adopt concepts of chroot jail. Have you looked at Opcode
module? If I remember correctly that's the module/functionality that we
need to integrate, so certain opcodes won't be available for the end
users. That's what we need, right?

I think the first thing to lookat is how PHP builds the jail.