perl-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [patch] send_fd
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2001 22:23:31 GMT
On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:

> > length required.  have you seen $r->sendfile?  this is meant to provide an
> > interface to the 2.0 send_fd but just for sending files.
>
> I've seen sendfile, but it cannot replace send_fd, it has the same
> requirement of input length. Also it's not available on all platforms.
> send_fd is using it internally if it's available.

it is not meant to _replace_ send_fd, re-read what i said: "interface
... just for sending files"

> APR is breaking backwards compatibility with apache-1.3.x, though my
> questions regarding this and other back compat issues go unanswered at
> the apr-dev list :(

it is ok for Apache and APR to break backwards compat.  it is not possible
for any 1.3 based C module to run with apache-2.0 without changes.  it is
possible for a modperl 1.x based Perl module to run with modperl-2.0
without changes, which is what i'm trying to maintain.

> Do you say that compat.pm's send_fd version is the best we can offer as
> a replacement for the one in 1.x? It's not as fast as it used to be.

not at all, compat.pm's send_fd is only intended for compat, which is why
it lives in compat.pm.  performance can come later.