perl-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: modperl-2.0/t/response/TestApache subprocess.pm
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2001 04:07:15 GMT
On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:

> You mean older bleadperls aren't back compat with 5.6.1's IO?

no bleedperls are compat with 5.6.1's IO.
older bleedperls are not compat with new bleedperls.

> I guess this requirement can go away once 5.8.0 is released.

right.

> There is a certain level of urgency on shaking well our PerlIO demands,
> because 5.8.0 seems to come out any moment now. And it'll really suck if
> there will be changes needed once 5.8.0 is released. I wish apr folks
> would answer my question about exposing the apr's read buffer, so we can
> figure out how to do the buffered reads.

i thought PerlIO has a buffer layer (PerlIOBuf?), where it would read a
chunk from the lower layer and take care of the buffering.  this is how
must io-systems work, apache has a buffering filters, SSL has a buffer
BIO, etc.

> Also there are a few debug prints that would be nice to have in-core
> (currently they are commented out), using the tracing is too noisy,
> since you cannot tell to trace a certain module. So should we use some
> ifdefs? e.g. I want to trace only PerlIO.

sure.