perl-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [patch] $r->document_root & thread mutex locking
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2001 19:21:03 GMT
On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:

> Added per-server configuration mutex locking, when changing things
> like document_root.
>
> I had to pick between Perl mutex and APR mutex. Since the tipool
> stuff already uses one Perl mutex, I decided to stay consistent.

there have been changes to the apr locking api since, might be worth
looking to see if apr is lighter weight than the perl api.

in any case, we need to think about this some more.  there is a race
condition in you patch.  only locking when writing to the value means one
reading could get trounced.  we don't want the overhead of locking all the
time for reads, since most apps probably won't be updating these fields.
and without a doubt, we don't want to do any locking if the mpm is
prefork.