perl-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: modperl-2.0/xs/tables/current/ModPerl FunctionTable.pm
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2001 18:04:10 GMT
On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:

> ok, that sounds good. I say we should change it. My reasoning is that
> the API never defined the case where fname==NULL, so it wasn't a part of
>   the public API and users weren't supposed to use this method with
> fname==NULL => we can safely add this to the API.

but Apache->server_root_relative() is a documented part of the 1.x
api.  it might not explicitly say 'returns a trailing /' but anybody who's
using it currently is getting a trailing / and might depend on that.

> In any case if some code goes broken, the fix is just to add /.

then you end up with ugly conditional code to make it work with both 1.x
and 2.0

> BTW, we can also expose ap_server_root and then the problem is fixed as
> well.

maybe what we should do is have Apache->server_root_relative that behaves
just like 1.x in Apache::compat and have 2.0's function be named
Apache::server_root() which returns ap_server_root if fname == NULL and
calls ap_server_root_relative() otherwise.  this would also fix the
current compat problem that 2.0's Apache::server_root_relative doesn't
support Apache->server_root_relative.