perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: perlrequire/perlmodule are running twice and slow
Date Thu, 22 Nov 2001 01:49:47 GMT
Doug MacEachern wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>As part of trying to figure out why my t/TEST -d takes so long to start,
>>I've traced that it spends about 14 secs in modperl_extra.pl. Can you
>>reproduce the same?
>>

> it does take quite a bit of time to parse all the perl code that is loaded
> and for gdb to build symbols tables from all the shared libraries.  14
> seconds seems too long though.

is there way to preload things and keep them in memory? since I don't

change any of the perl stuff when I play with gdb. I've tried to preload

libmodperl.so and libperl symbols in gdb, but I couldn't make it work,

since I've to tell it the address space to load it too. Not sure how to do that.

>>Also this shows that BEGIN block of startup.pl is running twice. I don't
>>think this is right. (BTW, people are still reporting this problem with
>>mod_perl 1.26!)
>
> it is right.  and also right with 1.26, if modperl is built as a dso.

so under DSO on restart perl is torned down. Please explain then why the
require of the startup file on restart is immediate? something that has
to do with gdb caching the symbol tables? so it's gdb spending 14
seconds reading something in?