perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: profiling mod_perl DSO?
Date Thu, 22 Nov 2001 01:44:43 GMT
Doug MacEachern wrote:

> i doubt gprof will be helpful here.  if it was, you'd be better of just
> profiling perl's startup time with the perl binary outside of httpd.

well, I was doing killall -SEGV httpd while running TEST -d and
everytime the trace was deep inside Perl stack, and it also looks the
same all the time. The stack is huge, about 35 frames deep.

Is there a way to see how much time is spent where? Why gprof won't help?

In any case how do I get libmodperl.so profiled? after compiling it and
httpd with -pg, is that because perl itself wasn't compiled with -pg?
but then I was looking for functions in mod_perl.c which is in httpd
domain. Also from stepping through the code with ddd, I know that it
stops for a big break in one 'ifdef GTOP' and the first startup require.

> also you didn't mention which verison of perl you're using.  assuming
> bleed, you might want to benchmark its startup time vs. 5.6.1,
> slowdown could be something new.

only bleed, but I've just tried with 5.6.1, the same picture. Whenever I
report things assume that it's all the latest bleed :)

> what is the difference in startup time
> between t/TEST -d and t/TEST -start ?

startup: 2-6 secs
debug  : 45-60 secs

on my slower laptop -d takes up to 90 secs to start.

The thing that drives me crazy is that you don't see this problem and
Gozer doesn't see it and you all run linux with 2.4 kernel. I've been
trying to eliminate other factors, like network (just keeping lo
running) but nothing changes.

The thing is that I need to debug C stuff, and it's so irritating that
you have to wait for so long everytime you change a bit (added to
compile time) to debug it :(