perl-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Jacobowitz <d...@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject Re: perlrequire/perlmodule are running twice and slow
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2001 16:40:35 GMT
On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 06:18:43PM +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>

> >>The thing that drives me crazy is that neither Doug nor Philip who both
> >>use almost the same version of everything on linux and using the same
> >>build options don't have this huge startup lag. I cannot figure out what
> >>it is that is different on my system that only I see this problem :( Any
> >>hints? I was trying to profile the startup to figure out where gdb
> >>spends most of the time but first I couldn't get any DSO loaded gprof
> >>data second I'm not sure I can really catch it. Should I use kernel
> >>level tracing? strace doesn't reveal anything interesting, it shows the
> >>PTRACE_PEEKTEXT op all the time, but nothing else I can use to aid my
> >>tracing.
> >>

> >Is it possible that Doug and Philip do not have libthread_db installed,
> >in which case GDB won't try to be thread-aware?  Or, actually, it could
> >be a gdb version issue.  The slowness came with the current
> >thread-aware debugging package, which is fairly recent (snapshots from
> >a year ago through the release last week).
>

> I've checked, Philippe has libthread_db and running the same gdb version
> (the same release but he is on RH, while I'm on Mandrake Linux).

Interesting.  Perhaps RH had a separate patch applied; which version is
this?

Also, you might want to see if setting auto-solib-add to 0 speeds you
up.  You'll need to add them by hand (I think "sharedlibrary" or "info
sharedlibrary" will do it) before setting breakpoints in them, but that
may be fine for your use.