perl-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Jacobowitz <d...@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject Re: perlrequire/perlmodule are running twice and slow
Date Sun, 25 Nov 2001 07:07:24 GMT
On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 09:49:47AM +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Doug MacEachern wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:
> >

> >>As part of trying to figure out why my t/TEST -d takes so long to start,
> >>I've traced that it spends about 14 secs in modperl_extra.pl. Can you
> >>reproduce the same?
> >>

> >it does take quite a bit of time to parse all the perl code that is loaded
> >and for gdb to build symbols tables from all the shared libraries.  14
> >seconds seems too long though.
>

> is there way to preload things and keep them in memory? since I don't
>
> change any of the perl stuff when I play with gdb. I've tried to preload
>
> libmodperl.so and libperl symbols in gdb, but I couldn't make it work,
>
> since I've to tell it the address space to load it too. Not sure how to do
> that.

Not really.  It's not symbol loading that's taking all your time.  GDB
behaves very badly when loading any large number of shared modules; I'm
trying to sort that code out this month anyway.  It's trying to parse
_DYNAMIC (the link map) at every shared library event.  It's a
difficult problem; if we don't do this, then we can't reset breakpoints
in shared modules as they are loaded.

Just be glad you aren't linked to -lpthread.  Then it REALLY takes
forever.