perl-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Sergeant <m...@sergeant.org>
Subject Re: Inline.pm for mod_perl
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:43:22 GMT
On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:

> There have been a lot of interesting development around Inline::
> namespace. Especially at the recent YAPC::NA (which I've skipped, but read
> the logs from those who were there).
>
> Especially interesting are the threads about new Inline::XS, see:
> http://archive.develooper.com/perl-xs@perl.org/
> threads starting with: "Inline::XS" and "Inline::XS explained"
>
> I was wondering how all this projects onto mod_perl core and 3rd party
> modules. I'm not sure about the core, since Doug is an XS god, but
> endorsing the use of Inline for 3rd party modules where performance is
> crucial and the author doesn't have the XS-hard-to-acquire-skills sounds
> like a great idea.

Except that until Inline is included in core, it won't be a widely used
way to build performant code, IMHO. That, and XS really isn't that
hard. Like anything, it takes a bit of learning (as did mod_perl when I
started using it!), and there could do to be a good book on it.

I personally don't buy the benefits of Inline.pm yet. The whole "tweak,
run" thing that Brian advocates isn't sold on me, because that's exactly
what I do, only it's "tweak, make test"...

--
<Matt/>

     \\//
     //\\