perl-dev mailing list archives

From brian moseley <...@maz.org>
Subject Re: application server
Date Mon, 21 May 2001 21:16:16 GMT
On Mon, 21 May 2001, Brian Aker wrote:

> Nope, the opposite. A year or two ago I was at the perl
> conference and noticed sun passing out a marketing flier
> as to why you should write web apps in Java. They
> specifically defined servlet as a persistent component
> that could have a persistent connection to a database.
> They listed perl in the CGI category (which tagged it
> with all of the downfalls of a CGI).

in all the time i've been working with servlet engines and
applications, i've never once seen this definition. i'm not
saying you're lying, but i think maybe they got overeager in
crafting a message that would be appealing to you.

> Might as well use the definition where it is to your
> advantage.

it's mis-marketing. since i'm actually creating a perl
version of the servlet api, i respectfully ask you to
consider the appropriateness of the term before using it.
thanks.