perl-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: dual server setup with 2.0?
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2001 04:31:02 GMT
On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I thought about the mod_perl 2.0 performance setups. So, since now one
> process can have pools with interpreter and without it, would it make
> sense to kill the dual server setup as we endorse now (where mod_perl is
> the backend) and have only one server, with different pools.
>
> So would something like this faster than the current schema?
>
> Threads Pool A : lots of plain Apache threads.
> Threads Pool P : a few Perl interpreters.

this is not the way it works.  there is one thread "pool", which apache
manages, no Perl interpreters are associated with these threads.
when a request comes in, mod_perl checks to see if it should handle
it.  if so, selects an interpreter from the interpreter pool and the
PerlInterpScope, which is per-request by default.

> With a dual server setup mod_proxy talks to the back-end server.
> How this actually will work within one 2.0 server? Is there going to be
> some kind mod_proxy like facility that will know to dispatch the requests?

see above.

i don't know if 2.0 will obsolete the need for dual server setup.  with
the right config parameters, maybe.