perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Inline.pm and the future of XS
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2001 09:46:46 GMT
On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Matt Sergeant wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
> > Doug,
> >
> > I was wondering whether you have looked at Inline.pm that allows you to
> > embed C/C++ directly into Perl. Would it make any sense to use it in
> > mod_perl sources, or is it easier for you to write directly in XS than C?
> >
> > Would it make sense to let others who aren't familiar with XS to use it in
> > mod_perl core? Or it makes no difference since you need to know Perl guts
> > anyway, and once you know them XS is easy?
> >
> > Also what's your take on XS in the future of Perl/mod_perl, do you think
> > it'll stick around, or is there going to be something else coming to
> > replace it.  I guess if I had the time to lurk around p5p I'd know the
> > answer...  Thanks...
>
> Stas,
>
> While not really applicable to writing mod_perl - XS is the way to go for
> that I think, we have been working on something called Orchard in the
> perl-xml world. This defines a "little language" superset of C called
> Mostly-C (MoC). The language does things like transparently hides
> accessors and property access (hashes to you) which is really nasty in XS
> into a much more familiar "object dot property" method. It also has the
> nice feature that any code you write with it is instantly accessible from
> Python too, using the same data model. It also has built-in garbage
> collection (useful for circular refs) and a built in XML parser (which is
> about 10-20 times faster than XML::Parser).

Sounds cool, but what are the chances that it'll get into the main Perl
distro? If it doesn't it doesn't make sense to exercise to different
macro languages.

IMHO, that's the main reason SWIG wasn't really adopted by the Perl
community. If you still need XS to distribute your code on XS, you learn
it anyway, so you use it.

> We have a talk about it in the XML track at OSS CON, though I doubt we'll
> be going into too much detail about the internals being on the XML
> track. With any luck Nat might see value in including a refereed paper on
> it in the proceedings.

Sounds cool! Thanks for the head's up!

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://apachetoday.com http://logilune.com/