perl-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Sergeant <m...@sergeant.org>
Subject Re: Inline.pm and the future of XS
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2001 10:50:19 GMT
On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Sounds cool, but what are the chances that it'll get into the main Perl
> distro? If it doesn't it doesn't make sense to exercise to different
> macro languages.

What are the chances Inline.pm will make it in? Well actually probably
higher since Brian works for ActiveState...

> IMHO, that's the main reason SWIG wasn't really adopted by the Perl
> community. If you still need XS to distribute your code on XS, you learn
> it anyway, so you use it.

SWIG wasn't adopted because for many things it sucked :-)

But yes, I totally understand your point. Hopefully by attacking from the
XML standpoint, which the core perl people are starting to realise is an
important part of where Perl needs to be, we might have a chance at that,
but I'm not going to break my back trying to get it "core" sanctioned -
they haven't added *any* significant new modules into core in a long time.

Oh, and did I mention that MoC requires Python as a pre-processor right
now - it kinda has that going against it too :-)

--
<Matt/>

     \\//
     //\\