perl-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Sergeant <m...@sergeant.org>
Subject Re: Inline.pm and the future of XS
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2001 09:20:30 GMT
On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Doug,
>
> I was wondering whether you have looked at Inline.pm that allows you to
> embed C/C++ directly into Perl. Would it make any sense to use it in
> mod_perl sources, or is it easier for you to write directly in XS than C?
>
> Would it make sense to let others who aren't familiar with XS to use it in
> mod_perl core? Or it makes no difference since you need to know Perl guts
> anyway, and once you know them XS is easy?
>
> Also what's your take on XS in the future of Perl/mod_perl, do you think
> it'll stick around, or is there going to be something else coming to
> replace it.  I guess if I had the time to lurk around p5p I'd know the
> answer...  Thanks...

Stas,

While not really applicable to writing mod_perl - XS is the way to go for
that I think, we have been working on something called Orchard in the
perl-xml world. This defines a "little language" superset of C called
Mostly-C (MoC). The language does things like transparently hides
accessors and property access (hashes to you) which is really nasty in XS
into a much more familiar "object dot property" method. It also has the
nice feature that any code you write with it is instantly accessible from
Python too, using the same data model. It also has built-in garbage
collection (useful for circular refs) and a built in XML parser (which is
about 10-20 times faster than XML::Parser).

We have a talk about it in the XML track at OSS CON, though I doubt we'll
be going into too much detail about the internals being on the XML
track. With any luck Nat might see value in including a refereed paper on
it in the proceedings.

--
<Matt/>

     \\//