perl-dev mailing list archives

From "Gerald Richter" <rich...@ecos.de>
Subject Re: Inline.pm and the future of XS
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2001 04:44:17 GMT

> SB> some new library comes out tomorrow, it takes probably minutes to
write
> SB> the glue.
>
> SB> Of course it'll take the same time to do the same for XS gurus, but
> SB> remember that many aren't.
>
> The first time I had to make a Perl binding for a C library, it took
> me about 2 hours to figure out how to do it.  Using XS to bind Perl
> directly to a C API is trivial.  Making it perl-ish is the hard part.

Using Inline.pm may have taken you only one hour. It does a lot of things
for you that have otherwise to be done manualy. In my eyes it's a great
module for including small C Parts in a Perl program, like writing the glue
to a C library. For larger C projects like mod_perl or Embperl I still
prefer using XS, because it gives me more control over what is happening.

Gerald