perl-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Sergeant <m...@sergeant.org>
Subject Re: Apache::LogSTDERR
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2001 00:38:59 GMT
On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Doug MacEachern wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Matt Sergeant wrote:
>
> > While both work, they still suffer from all the extraneous info that
> > 1.3+ logging outputs: "[Date] [leve]", or for info: "[Date] [level]
> > [ip]". Rather annoying.
>
> right.  the code that redirects stderr to the r->server->error_log lives
> in mod_perl.c:
>
> #ifndef PERL_TRACE
>     if(r->server->error_log)
> 	error_log2stderr(r->server);
> #endif

Yeah I saw that and even checked the older source to see if it had changed
since 1.24_01, which it hasn't. This makes me thing its an Apache 1.3.17
thing, rather than a mod_perl thing.

> i wonder if you have PERL_TRACE on?  or it isn't being called for some
> reason, or being called to early before r->server points to the
> virtualhost thats serving the request.

That sounds more likely to me...

> changing to this might shed some light:
>
>     if(r->server->error_log) {
>         fprintf(stderr, "hooking stderr to %s for host %s\n",
>                 r->server->error_fname, ap_get_server_name(r));
> 	error_log2stderr(r->server);
>     }

Interesting - I did this and didn't get any output anywhere - not in the
logs, nor in the output when I ran httpd -X. So I removed the #ifdefs, and
got exactly the same! Something seriously fishy going on.

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **
 // \\| // **     Personal Web Site: http://sergeant.org/     **