perl-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: FAIL Apache-Filter-1.014 i86pc-solaris 2.8
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2000 18:29:08 GMT
On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Ken Williams wrote:

> As I understand it, mod_perl 1.24_01 is not a beta release, it's just a
> relatively minor update to 1.24.  Geoffrey Young has been issuing weekly
> summaries of the mod_perl list for a while, and according to him (and
> thus probably according to Doug) 1.24_01 is the latest stable release
> and the development release is 1.24_02-dev.

it is a "pre-1.25" release.  the _xx is intended to indicate a beta
type warning.  and intended to be left out of the cpan index as some
sort of effort that people who know to find it know it is considered
a 1.25 candidate, not yet stamped an "official" release.  just so happens
in this case the _xx version is stable and required for apache-1.3.14.

> I'm not sure whether Doug knows about this relationship between
> underscores and CPAN status, so I'm Cc-ing him here (also to confirm the
> status of 1.24_01).

actually, i think it was my idea to leave _xx versions out of the cpan