perl-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Jacobowitz <>
Subject Re: uselargefiles
Date Wed, 27 Dec 2000 19:30:21 GMT
On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 06:11:51PM -0800, Doug MacEachern wrote:
> the 5.6.0+ uselargefile flags: -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
> are still the source of many core dump reports.  i just committed a patch
> to rip them out by default.  mod_perl does not need them.  but they can be
> turned back on with Makefile.PL PERL_USELARGEFILES=1
> i've tested with 5.6.0, 5.7.0-dev, USE_DSO=1, USE_APXS=1 and USE_APACI=1
> all on linux 2.x.  it would be great to hear 'make test' reports with as
> many perls/os-es/options/etc. to ensure no breakage for 1.25 sometime next
> week.  thanks.

I assume that if Apache is built with LFS, we do need them (though I
think apxs will take care of that).  What about if perl is - can we
really get away without not using LFS when perl is?

Debian's spent a couple of weeks tracking down the problems enabling
LFS in apache caused various modules (primarily PHP), and we've gotten
most of them now, so I'd hate to back down again.