perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Apache::Reload
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:08:35 GMT
On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Matt Sergeant wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
> > > Is there any interest in incorporating Apache::Reload into mod_perl
> > > core? It seems to offer much more than StatINC, and in only a tiny bit
> > > more code... (I'm not suggesting that this opens any floodgates for other
> > > little modules incorporated into mod_perl, but this one seems globally
> > > applicable, rather than limited to any particular domain).
> >
> > Sounds nice to me. I'd give it a few more days to be tested before
> > releasing it in the mainstream since as you can see a few bugs were
> > spotted, so let's wait before it's polished out. I'm all for innovations,
> > just trying to be cautious you know.
>
> Understood. I believe your co-worker is playing with it as I type :-)

Yup :)

> > It also depends on when Doug is planning the release of the next version.
> > If it's far away I guess we can put it into the cvs version now, so people
> > will have time to test it.
> >
> > BTW, Matt, you will need a CVS write access then, since if something
> > should be patched you can't do it without the access. You will have to ask
> > Doug to ask Brian to give it to you.
>
> Ugh... Well I don't mind too much, but I'd prefer if someone else did the
> import and submission of patches - I'll just supply diffs if
> necessary. But if it has to be that way then so be it.

Well, since Eric has volunteered for this position, I guess no problem
then. I just thought you'd get the chance to get the sought-after mod_perl
cvs write permissions :)

> > Also it means that you will have to withdraw the package from CPAN,
> > otherwise people will be confused. You will have to ask Andreas to delete
> > the last (and all) versions from CPAN. It's not a problem to delete the
> > packages from CPAN, you will be asked by one of the CPAN maintainers why
> > you are destroying the package (just letting you know the procedures :)
>
> You can do this from the web interface, providing you haven't actually
> registered the module with CPAN (i.e. listed in the CPAN module list),
> which I haven't.

Sure I know that, I've deleted lots of them :) I was talking about
deletion of the last version.

> However I don't see a point in removing it from CPAN - that enables people
> to use it in older mod_perl installations. What I can/will do is check
> $mod_perl::VERSION or $Apache::Reload::VERSION on install to ensure its
> not already there.

If you do that -- fine with me, still you will have to maintain two
versions, which is a mess. I'd leave the last release on CPAN (or a few
versions later, and have a note there that all the new versions are to be
found in the mod_perl core... But of course YMMV :)

> > Also what about the back compatibility with StatINC -- do you plan to keep
> > StatINC in the core mod_perl for a while and remove it for 2.0?
>
> Like Ask said - its a drop-in replacement, so we could just make StatINC a
> bunch of aliases for Reload methods.

That sounds good. The moment you do that, I'll demolish all the references
to StatINC in the guide and replace with Reload :) It's impornant to get
the right thing into the upcoming book as well.

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://apachetoday.com http://jazzvalley.com
http://singlesheaven.com http://perlmonth.com   perl.org   apache.org