perl-asp mailing list archives

From "Fagyal, Csongor" <conc...@conceptonline.hu>
Subject Re: Printer friendly output
Date Sun, 21 Dec 2003 15:49:45 GMT
Tim Pushor wrote:

> Chris,
>
> I would look into making a PDF.
>
> I have done something similar - a customer once wanted to be able to
> print or fax invoices from a web form, so I filled in postscript
> templates, and sent to mgetty+sendfax (via ghostscript) or to a local
> printer.
>
> This was a while ago.
>
> Now, I would certainly look into PDF generation (in fact, I plan on in
> the near future). There are C libraries and perl modules that will
> allow you to generate PDF's. This is (IMO) The ultimate in creating
> print ready forms.

Try "htmldoc". Works pretty well if your HTML is not too fancy - it
converts HTML to PDF (or RTF). Doesn't know CSS, though.

You can also try to use XSL(T), and then have two XSL-s for the normal
and the printer friendly representation, and the later you can convert
to PDF (using for example the above mentioned htmldoc - or even FOP if
you don't mind speed :-)).

Regards,
- Csongor