perl-advocacy mailing list archives

From adam.pr...@utoronto.ca
Subject Re: perl at apachecon
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2008 17:46:12 GMT
Quoting Geoffrey Young <geoff@modperlcookbook.org>:

> hi all :)
>
> perl's (and mod_perl's) presence at apachecon has been dwindling over
> the years.  I won't get into a rant about why this might be, so please
> don't you do it either :)

(I'm CC'ing this to advocacy, in case anyone else is interested)

I'm interested in hearing the rant (and any associated rants), and
especially interested in hearing ideas about what could be done to
fix, or at least adapt to the situation.  I was thinking about this a
little bit this morning after seeing a post on perlbuzz about how the
perl track at OSCON actually has twice as many talks as it did the
year before (though it's still a far cry from it's TPC days).

I've been to two apachecon's (vegas and austin) but last year the
content in atlanta was underwhelming to me.  I instead chose to go to
the pittsburgh perl workshop, which though it didn't have much (or
even any) truly mod_perl content, the general perl content was good,
and the conference was dirt cheap (70USD IIRC).

I recently did a little bit of research for Richard Dice on perl
conferences and i was somewhat shocked to find out what they've got
going on in Europe.  They have upwards of 8 workshop style events,
many of which are multiple days all over Europe.  In addition to
YAPC::EU.

I wonder if there would be enough interest in a workshop style event
that was focused on mod_perl, or perl and websites to make it worth
while.  I wonder why people don't go to ApacheCon, or don't submit
sessions to ApacheCon (which both seem to go hand in hand).  If
ApacheCon isn't serving the needs of the mod_perl community
effectively, then maybe (if there's interest) the community should
start serving itself.

Adam