pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Tilman Hausherr <THaush...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Hardware Acceleration
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2019 03:21:50 GMT
Some more ideas:
- I have about 30 files that are slow or were slow (but many still are),
if you like to investigate for "opportunities"
- the one I mentioned yesterday renders in better speed with PDF.js.
I've never heard that they use the GPU, usually they are faster than us
- video about PDF rendering in general by the PDF-Tools boss:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiqDqd-1pwU&t   (very scary!)
- video about PDFBox https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf8BfGaRUkk    and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agzqehWt-ko
- you're not the first person who would write a thesis related to
PDFBox, this guy wrote about text extraction:
https://ad.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/files/icecite

Tilman

Am 03.09.2019 um 10:30 schrieb Stefan Sauerer:
> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> my name is Stefan and I'm working at CAS Software AG, a company in Karlsruhe. Currently,
I'm looking for a topic for my master thesis.
> As we are using your library PDFBox for document to image conversion, I had an idea for
a topic. But first, I would like to ask you,
> if there has been some investigation, or developement by your team before, regarding
this topic.

> The basic idea is, to increase performance of the document conversion by using hardware
acceleration (GPU).
> If I'm right, there is no computation done by the GPU at the moment. Which means, that
everything during document conversion
> gets processed by the CPU. My assumption is, that the GPU could be used for transforming
elements, such as text/glyphs, images, etc. to their final