pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Tilman Hausherr <THaush...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Hardware Acceleration
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2019 17:26:13 GMT
Hello Stefan,

We didn't investigate that topic; all we know is that there's a rumor
that hardware acceleration is used by the JVM for some operations when
run on a physical system (not a virtual machine).

Most of our slow rendering files have poor performance in
ColorConvertOp.filter(). This is in PDColorSpace.toRGBImageAWT().

Try the file here with a profiler:

Tilman

Am 03.09.2019 um 10:30 schrieb Stefan Sauerer:
> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> my name is Stefan and I'm working at CAS Software AG, a company in Karlsruhe. Currently,
I'm looking for a topic for my master thesis.
> As we are using your library PDFBox for document to image conversion, I had an idea for
a topic. But first, I would like to ask you,
> if there has been some investigation, or developement by your team before, regarding
this topic.

> The basic idea is, to increase performance of the document conversion by using hardware
acceleration (GPU).
> If I'm right, there is no computation done by the GPU at the moment. Which means, that
everything during document conversion
> gets processed by the CPU. My assumption is, that the GPU could be used for transforming
elements, such as text/glyphs, images, etc. to their final