pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Constantine Dokolas <cdoko...@gmail.com>
Subject About fonts and locale/language coverage
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2019 08:02:18 GMT
What is the preferred way to check which languages/locales a font
(TrueTypeFont) supports?

I need to load some fonts (ideally of the same family) and select the right
one for the required language/locale). Or am I going about it the wrong way?

About my implementation: I'm planning to bundle the Noto fonts (mostly
because they offer good Unicode coverage and friendly license) and I will
also be supporting Arabic, which is on a separate font file. When a special
"font server" gets a request for a font for Arabic locale text (specified
by an "Arabic" instance of the Locale class), it needs to serve the
instance loaded with the Arabic "variant" in the family. I'm planning to
inspect the fonts during the initial scanning of the files and keep a
registry of which one supports which languages.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Constantine

--
There is a computer disease that anybody who works with computers knows
about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the