pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Rick Gallo <ri...@rsmail.com>
Subject Compare and contrast PDFBox and Adobe PDF
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2018 01:17:34 GMT

Hi, Team,
We are looking to Compare and contrast PDFBox and Adobe PDF.

We are a marketing firm that has clients for which we send out mail that has to be exact.

To improve a process of proofing these documents, we asked someone to write some code, which
uses java to extract pdf pages to another pdf file.

Adobe is seen as the industry standard, but the developer wants to use PDFBox. I'm ok with
it, but we have to convince our CEO, who is hyper-sensitive to possible errors.

So, I'm looking for opinions that compare Adobe PDF to PDFBox.  Are they identical?  Is one
better than another?  From a few forums, PDFBox shouldn't be used for brand new docs, but
all of our docs will be existing.  I also saw a forum where PDFBox created some funky characters.
A while back, someone in our group used Microsoft PDF which also created some funk.

We really want to use the new code because it will speed up our process, but if one job goes
haywire I may lose my job, or if the client leaves us, a good chunk of us will be laid off.
 I'm not sure if I can convince our CEO that Adobe PDF and PDFBox are equal, at least.

Your thoughts?

At Your Service,

Rick Gallo
Pre-Print Manager