pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Tilman Hausherr <THaush...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Extracting page "correctly"
Date Sat, 03 Nov 2018 09:35:30 GMT
Am 02.11.2018 um 23:37 schrieb jorgeeflorez:

> The text I get is better than the first one, but it mixes the text
> from left and right "columns" (please see the bold text).
> My question is: is it possible to get the text as one would naturally
> read it? i.e. the text of the left column and then the text of the
> right column?

Is this what you'd like to have?

All I did was to rotate 90° and then extract without sorting. It works
because many (but not all) PDFs with columns have the operators in the
column sequence.

====

A Sample Poster  Landscape
Layout -Title Name of Researcher(s)
Name of Department
Introduction
The Mechanical Engineering Department at WPI was established in 1868 and
the first
undergraduate degrees were awarded in 1871. The Department currently has
about 450
undergraduate students and 100 graduate students. Housed in the Higgins
Laboratory and the
Washburn shops the faculty consists of 29 tenured and tenure track
professors, and several
non-tenure track teaching staff. The Department offers undergraduateand
graduate degrees in
Mechanical Engineering and Manufacturing Engineering and graduate
degrees in Material
Science.
Undergraduate Program
The Mechanical Engineering program at WPI is designed to
developgraduates who can deal
with world situations that involve technological and humanistic/societal
issues. Students
develop literacy and competency in utilizing scientific and engineering
methods for devising
useful products in an economical way, while considering the impacts on
society. The
Mechanical Engineering program is in harmony with the WPI Plan
philosophy of education, in
which each student develops competence, confidence, and the skill of
self-learning.
Outcomes
1. A graduate should be able to apply the fundamental principlesof
mathematics, science, and
engineering to solve structured problems in mechanical engineering.
2. A graduate should be able to combine fundamental knowledge
ofengineering principles and
modern techniques to solve realistic, unstructured problems thatarise in
mechanical
engineering.
3. A graduate should demonstrate the ability to design and develop
useful products, processes,
or systems that benefit society.
4. A graduate should develop interpersonal skills, ethical behavior, a
professional attitude and a
respect for others to function effectively in a team environment.
5. A graduate should demonstrate communications skills, write, oral,
electronic and graphical,
so that they can perform engineering functions effectively.
Opportunities for Undergraduate Study
The Department offers bachelor of science degrees in mechanical
engineeringand
manufacturing engineering. The mechanical engineering program allows
students to select from
seven concentrations:
*Aerospace
*Biomechanical
*Engineering Mechanics
*Mechanical Design
*Manufacturing(More details...)
*Materials Science and Engineering
*Thermal and Fluids Engineering
All mechanical engineering majors must complete the same set of
distribution requirements, but
each concentration has a different set of courses and MQP
topicsassociated with it.
Student Societies
Participation in activities sponsored by student societies is anintegral
part of the WPI
experience. The Mechanical Engineering Department encourages itsstudents
to join student
societies and develop their leadership skill by serving as officers.
Several student organizations
have their office in room 219 in the Higgins Laboratory. A complete list
of all WPI student
organizations is available on the Student Activities Office website.
Measurable Outcomes
Graduating students should demonstrate the following at a level
equivalent to an entry-
level engineer or first year graduate student:
a. An understanding of the fundamental principles of conservation laws,
constitutive relations  mechanics and materials science.
b. The ability to apply mathematics, science and engineering to thermofluid
and mechanical systems.
c. The ability to design a system, component or process to meet design
criteria.
d. The ability to design and conduct experiments and to analyze and
interpret the resulting data.
e. The ability to use modern engineering tools for engineering design and
analysis.
f. The ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
g. The ability to function within multidisciplinary teams.
h. The ability to function professionally and ethically.
i. An understanding of contemporary issues and the impact of engineering
solutions in a global/societal context.
j. An appreciation for the skills to accomplish life-long learning.
k. Knowledge of chemistry and calculus-based physics with depth in at
least one.
l. The ability to apply advanced mathematics through multivariate calculus
and differential equations.
m. Familiarity with statistics and linear algebra.
Approved by the faculty 4/13/99 and revised 12/19/2000
These outcomes are consistent with requirement of the Accreditation
Board for
Engineering and Technology (ABET) for Mechanical Engineering Programs
Graduate Program
The Mechanical Engineering Department offers Doctor of Philosophy
(Ph.D.) in
Mechanical Engineering and Material Sciences. Master of Science (M.S.)
is offered in
Mechanical Engineering, Material Sciences, and Manufacturing
Engineering. The
specific requirements for each degree are described in detail below.
Regularly offered
courses cover fundamental engineering sciences and special topiccourses
expose
students to state-of-the-art research topics. The Mechanical Engineering
Department
has offered graduate degrees since 1895 and currently has about 100 full
and part
time students.
Contact Information
For more information about our research, please contact:
Name of Researcher(s)
Name of Department
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
100 Institute Road
Worcester, MA 01609-2280
Phone: (508) 831-XXXX
Fax: (508) 831-XXXX
Email: XXXX@wpi.edu
The main entrance to the Higgins Laboratory. The Mechanical Engineering
Department is
housed in Higgins Laboratory, completely renovated in 1996, and the
Washburn Shops.