pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de>
Subject Re: Error in conforming to PDF/A-2b
Date Fri, 23 Nov 2018 11:47:38 GMT
Hi
> Hi,
> I am using PDFBox to create legally valid PDF/A-2b documents, on a Linux Mint machine.
> For this, I have .odt files with embedded fonts created by LibreOffice Writer, that I
export as PDFs. Then, I manipulate the metadata of the documents by aligning the XMP metadata
with the descriptive ones (author, title, subject, etc.), providing a color profile, and setting
the identification schema to part 2 and conformance B, just like pointed out in your guides.
> I manually tested the output PDF/A-2b documents using this online validator: https://www.pdf-online.com/osa/validate.aspx,
and I noticed that if the aforementioned documents contain certain fonts, e.g. MathJax-Typewriter,
the validation fails with a series of errors like this:
> The width for character X in font ‘FAAAAA+MathJax_Typewriter-Regular’ does not match.
> I would like to know if this is caused by some limitations in the library, or if I am
doing something wro
> ng in conforming the PDF.
> The failing PDF and the output of the validator are provided as attachments to this mail.

The issue is (very likely) happening when exporting the PDF. PDF/A requires that the character
width information in the PDF
matches the information in the font program. This is not done correctly by the PDF exporting
process. You might be able to
correct that by going through the embedded font information, parse the width for the characters
and match that with the width in
the PDF.

The approach you are doing is using PDFBox to ensure that requiremenst such as metadata is
conforming, but if the PDF content
itself doesn't conform to PDF/A-2b by the PDF export than such issues may arise (there might
be others such as color management
...)

BR
Maruan