pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Gary Grosso <gary.gro...@oberontech.com>
Subject RE: PDFBox AcroForm: timeline? or how to make multiple copies of a page into one file?
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2018 00:00:28 GMT
IMO the PDFBox forum archives are hard to search.

Have you already seen the examples at https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/pdfbox/trunk/examples/src/main/java/org/apache/pdfbox/examples/
?

I'll admit I didn't study your question in detail. It's 8pm here and I'm not yet done for
the day. But I saw you ask for examples...

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Dagnon, William <William.Dagnon@wpsic.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 6:30 PM
To: users@pdfbox.apache.org
Subject: PDFBox AcroForm: timeline? or how to make multiple copies of a page into one file?

Hello all, newb here;

I have a source PDF file, and I need to build a new file from it by selectively copying/not
copying/duplicating pages, and filling out annotated fields in the new file.  Eg. sometimes
the new file will have 6 pages, sometimes it will have 10 pages.

So far, my searches haven't turned up people asking questions about quite this situation:

1. one or more of the pages are forms, eg. have annotated fields and need to fill them in.
2. one of the form pages needs to get repeated in certain circumstances - mine is a table-of-inputs
page with a header.  May need zero, may need 1 or more copies filled out.

I don't have a deep understanding of how the PDFBox operates, so I tried my simplistic version
from the Javadocs and some Google-fu:
pddoc.importPage(originalDoc.getPage(0));
cat = pddoc.getDocumentCatalog();
acroForm = cat.getAcroForm();// returns null field = acroForm.getField("name");// blows up
with an NPE

Meaning there is no PDAcroForm in the new PDDocument after I copy the first page, which has
form fields.  At least no cached version, according to my debugger.  How do I get it to generate
an appropriate AcroForm?  Or do I need to wait for an AcroForm until all pages, or at least
all field-containing pages, are in my pddoc before doing that?

My secondary question addresses #2 above: how can I have 2 copies of the same page (form),
and annotated elements, in one PDDocument?  Does the 2nd copy of the PDPage need to rename
all fields so all annotation names remain unique?  Or can I operate on a copy of the PDPage
and then import it into the final pddoc (assuming once the page has values, names won't interfere
with existing names in the same PDDocument)?

Websites, example code, deeper knowledge all appreciated!

P.S. and thanks to daedtech.com for getting me started!

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain confidential,
privileged and/or proprietary information which is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).
Any review, use, disclosure, or retention by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not
an intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete this e-mail, any attachments,
and all copies.