pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Gary Grosso <gary.gro...@oberontech.com>
Subject RE: How to get square radio button
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2018 18:42:23 GMT
Thanks Tilman.

When navigating such a path it's good to know someone else went down it and came out the other
end.

If this work gets approved I'll try to remember to post my augmented code.

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Tilman Hausherr <THausherr@t-online.de>
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 2:35 PM
To: users@pdfbox.apache.org
Subject: Re: How to get square radio button

Yes, it is a pain. Find these sequences in PDFDebugger and insert then appropriately in your
code. Try first without the /ZaDB stuff. If it is needed, then add it to the Acroform default
resources first, and then this element to the resource of the appearance stream element.

Tilman

Am 24.07.2018 um 20:20 schrieb Gary Grosso:
> Oooooh.....
>
> I actually have to do stuff like this, then?
>

>      String offNString = "0 G\n"
>              + "q\n"
>              + "  1 0 0 1 8 8 cm\n"
>              + "  7.5 0 m\n"
>              + "  7.5 4.1423 4.1423 7.5 0 7.5 c\n"
>              + "  -4.1423 7.5 -7.5 4.1423 -7.5 0 c\n"
>              + "  -7.5 -4.1423 -4.1423 -7.5 0 -7.5 c\n"
>              + "  4.1423 -7.5 7.5 -4.1423 7.5 0 c\n"
>              + "  s\n"
>              + "Q";
>
>      OutputStream os = offNStream.createOutputStream(COSName.FLATE_DECODE);
>      os.write(offNString.getBytes());
>      os.close();
>

> Gack.

used ZapfDingbats. That was after I spent a half hour searching the API.

> My application makes round buttons already. I figure the square buttons have something
to do with Appearance Streams. I looked at the SO article, but am not gaining any enlightenment
regarding square radio buttons, though that may be my fault.

> I put a PDFDebugger view at http://aapro.net/temp/squarebuttonPDFDebuggerScreenshot.jpg
in case that is helpful. I've looked around a lot more that that view indicates, but maybe
someone can suggest where I need to be looking based on that screen shot.

> Also (I hope it isn't too lengthy), I'll post my radio button code.
> Maybe someone can remind me what portion of this is likely relevant. I
> sort of remember looking at the PDFBox source quite a bit back in 2016
> for this, but have since forgotten all the details, and wish not to
> have to go fully down that rabbit hole again. (I don't fit down rabbit
> holes as well as I did in my younger days.)
>
>      private static void addRadiobuttonAtRect(PDPage page, PDAcroForm acroForm, String
name,
>              Map<String, String> optionMap, PDRectangle rect, GroupInfo groupInfo,
String dflt) {
>          PDAnnotationWidget radioButton = new PDAnnotationWidget();
>
>          String grp = Utils.unescapeChar(optionMap.get("grp"));
>          System.out.println("grp=" + grp + "; name=" + name + "; num="
> + optionMap.get("num"));
>
>          radioButton.setRectangle(rect);
>
>          int wd = Utils.getInt(optionMap.get("wd"));
>          if (wd == -1) {
>              System.out.println("Zero or invalid wd of radio button '" + optionMap.get("wd")
+ "'");
> [...]
>          radioButton.setActions(annotationActions);
>
>          PDAppearanceCharacteristicsDictionary fieldAppearance
>                  = new PDAppearanceCharacteristicsDictionary(new COSDictionary());
>          if (Utils.getInt(optionMap.get("brdwt")) != 0) {
>              /*
>               * For borderWeight of zero to work reliably (and not exhibit a thin rule),
>               * it is important not so set any border color.
>               */
>              fieldAppearance.setBorderColour(Utils.hexToPDColor(optionMap.get("brdclr")));
>          }
>
> fieldAppearance.setBackground(Utils.hexToPDColor(optionMap.get("bclr")
> ));
>
>          radioButton.setAppearanceCharacteristics(fieldAppearance);
>
>          radioButton.setAnnotationFlags(4);
>          radioButton.setPage(page);
>          PDRadioButton radioGroupWidget = (PDRadioButton) groupInfo.getGroupButton();
>          radioButton.setParent(radioGroupWidget);
>

>          COSDictionary apNDict = new COSDictionary();
>          COSStream offNStream = new COSStream();
>          offNStream.setItem(COSName.BBOX, rect);
>          offNStream.setItem(COSName.FORMTYPE, COSInteger.ONE);
>          offNStream.setItem(COSName.TYPE, COSName.XOBJECT);
>          offNStream.setItem(COSName.SUBTYPE, COSName.FORM);
>
>          apNDict.setItem(COSName.Off, offNStream);
>
>          COSStream onNStream = new COSStream();
>          onNStream.setItem(COSName.BBOX, rect);
>          onNStream.setItem(COSName.FORMTYPE, COSInteger.ONE);
>          onNStream.setItem(COSName.TYPE, COSName.XOBJECT);
>          onNStream.setItem(COSName.SUBTYPE, COSName.FORM);
>
>          apNDict.setItem(name, onNStream);
>
>          COSDictionary apDDict = new COSDictionary();
>          COSStream offDStream = new COSStream();
>          offDStream.setItem(COSName.BBOX, rect);
>          offDStream.setItem(COSName.FORMTYPE, COSInteger.ONE);
>          offDStream.setItem(COSName.TYPE, COSName.XOBJECT);
>          offDStream.setItem(COSName.SUBTYPE, COSName.FORM);
>
>          apDDict.setItem(COSName.Off, offDStream);
>
>          COSStream onDStream = new COSStream();
>          onDStream.setItem(COSName.BBOX, rect);
>          onDStream.setItem(COSName.FORMTYPE, COSInteger.ONE);
>          onDStream.setItem(COSName.TYPE, COSName.XOBJECT);
>          onDStream.setItem(COSName.SUBTYPE, COSName.FORM);
>
>          apDDict.setItem(name, onDStream);
>
>          PDAppearanceDictionary appearance = new PDAppearanceDictionary();
>          PDAppearanceEntry appearanceNEntry = new
> PDAppearanceEntry(apNDict);
>
>          appearance.setNormalAppearance(appearanceNEntry);
>
>          PDAppearanceEntry appearanceDEntry = new
> PDAppearanceEntry(apDDict);
>
>          appearance.setDownAppearance(appearanceDEntry);
>
>          radioButton.setAppearance(appearance);
>
>          if ((dflt != null) && dflt.equals("Yes")) {
>                  radioButton.setAppearanceState(name);
>          } else {
>              radioButton.setAppearanceState("Off");
>          }
>
>          // Add the annotation to the group.
>          groupInfo.addItem(radioButton);
>
>          try {
>              page.getAnnotations().add(radioButton);
>          } catch (IOException exc) {
>              System.out.println("IOException adding readioButton to page: " + exc.getMessage());

that. Here's my attempt with round buttons.
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41631119/radiobutton-display-probl
> ems-with-pdfbox/41632982
>
> I looked how the square buttons are done... it is similar except that a font is used.
Not sure if this is needed or whether it is for text extraction.

> Tilman
>

> Am 24.07.2018 um 15:35 schrieb Gary Grosso:
>> Users of a fillable form application have come back asking for the ability to have
a square radio button.

>> Acrobat gives a dialog, Radio Button Properties, with Options > Button Style,
which can be set to check, circle, cross, diamond, square, or star.

>> I have been trying to understand how this is implemented using PDFBox, but have not
had any luck.

>> The sample PDF is at http://aapro.net/temp/squarebutton.pdf
>>
>> While "How to get square radio button" is what I'm required to know, "How to have
figured that out using PDFBox" would also be of interest and appreciated.